Sunday, March 25, 2012

Strawbery Banana Split

When I'm not writing I like to make ice cream.  I make all kinds of stuff.  Once you know the basic ingredients (your sweet cream base), it's pretty much whatever you're in the mood for.  I call this one Strawberry Banana Split:
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup of sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 cups whipping cream
  • 1 cup of milk
  • 1/2 overripe banana
  • 5 strawberries
  • 2 tablespoons of semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
Makes one quart.

BWA-HA-HA-HA-HAAAA!

Start with the eggs, whipping them till they are a creamy yellow.  Throw in the sugar and vanilla.  Whip some more.  Then add the cream and milk.  Whip some more.  This is your sweet cream base.

Using a fork, mash the strawberries and bananas together.  Add in the lemon juice.  Lemon juice brings out the flavor of any fruit.  I used a food processor when I did this, and I wouldn't recommend it.  The blades can break open the strawberry seeds and give your ice cream a slightly bitter aftertaste.  :-P

When you've got it all mashed together, mix it into your sweet cream base.  Throw in the chocolate chips.  Don't use full-sized chocolate chips. They get hard as a rock when they freeze, and you'll crack a tooth.

Pour it into the freezer and freeze.

Serve with almond slivers and marachino cherries.

MMMMMMM.  Ice cream.

No back to writing.  Hope you feel inspired!

7 comments:

  1. I don't think I would dare make only a quart of ice cream . . . my girls would eat it all before I had a taste. ;) Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely! My kids can chow through ice cream pretty quick. I think I'm going to make some for FHE tonight.

    I substituted Splenda for sugar, and it came out superb. I love Splenda. It is soooo not Aspertame ;o(

    Also, it's probably a good idea to stick the ice cream in the freezer for a few hours and let it harden.

    Otherwise you end up with ice cream soup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that I'm awake, I have a quick question: do you cook the base at all, or do the eggs remain uncooked? The ice cream I have made with eggs before required some cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope!

    No cooking. Good ole raw eggs. I remind my kids when I want more for me. "You're eating raw eggs, did you know? Mmmmm...raw eggs."

    "Eeeew, daddy."

    "Sure you still want some?"

    "Of course!"

    Well, sometimes it works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love homemade ice cream, but sadly am too lazy too make it. But, oh yes, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Making this immediately. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds delicious, Tom! I have a Vitamix (thank you, Jesus!) and occasionally use that to make ice cream. Of course, I'm supposed to be doing this with only healthy lowfat ingredients, but must admit that when I see a recipe including 2 cups of whipping cream, I am totally smitten and an forced to succumb to the dark-side...or in this case, the calorie-side. :)

    ReplyDelete